Monday, October 12, 2009

Window Attics



In our window attics we stand


Upstairs, in our houses of imaginations,


Peering and leering…


flows from across the street;


Obligations below


Within other rooms of our house


Pre-occupied,


watching others live in fishbowls


Playing out what the viewers would like to do if they could.


"Sit with me and read,"


flows out along air currents between us, made by the ceiling fan


But,


falls on deaf ears (like always)…


"Don't you want to sit with me,"


flows out on a question?


I wonder why?


Then,


walk from room-to-room


My strides match my heartbeats;


I pour myself a drink,


wishing it was alcoholic like my Dad…


His funeral floats by and I reach out to touch its wake;


I cringe at the idea of becoming like him!


I wonder why…


my dreams never seem to finish


before I fall asleep like…


…falling from this day into another day…


…before my dreams can start again.


October 10, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment