Saturday, June 2, 2012

December's Family

The Strength of our Love

In my trembling arms I hold the
fears of a thousand daughters
and their nightmares of helplessness;
in my stalwart heart the dark and gloomy
side of life betrays my innocence as
I turn to my sister for compassion;
with my ageless eyes I will remember
the suffering of her who gave me breath
and in whose image I am reflected;
in these weathered hands I've held
the newness of life, its softness and
delicate features and nurtured its growth;
in this short-lived, fragile body is
contained inexhaustible memories and
the courage to continue being who I am;
in my tears I cry for all the
daughters whose lives are riddled with
the pain and ecstasy of life, and
in my soul is the strength of our
determination and the love for our family.

December 31, 1984

No comments:

Post a Comment