Sunday, October 30, 2022

The Burn Pit


I burned thirty years of my life today

in a lot of dirt we used for a garden,

one by one I tossed the papers in

along with the envelops that held them,

sitting in the green plastic chair, I

watched the papers turn black and 

curl around the edges as the flames

changed it texture and appearance;

No thoughts entered my head as to

what I was burning or why or what

the documents used to represent...

for me, it was a task that just needed

to be done and it was decided that I

would do it today when the wind

was not as strong as it used to be...

smoke would move in my direction

and to the other side of the pit I

would move, poking and proding

and turning the papers over so that

they would burn throughout...  it was

a mildly warm day and the heat from

the fire got me hotter that I would

have liked and the smell of smoke

stuck to the fabric of my clothes and

all I could do was wonder why I had

ever started smoking in the first place.


22 October 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment