Tuesday, January 3, 2012

THREE INTO ONE


Cast of Characters:  I, Defender, & Supplanter


[There is a person (I) sitting at a round table partially hidden by the darkness. There is an empty chair at the table, and the man is leaning back in the chair against the wall with this hands clasped behind his head. Another person (Defender) enters and walks up to the table and attempts to pull out the empty chair and sit down.]


I – That seat is taken.

Defender – But, I must sit down.

I – I’m sorry but you cannot sit there.

Defender – Then what do I do?

I – You can stand.

Defender – I’ll not stand for this!

I – Then please, sit down.

Defender – Thank you.

I – Don’t thank me.

Defender – Then who?

I – Why are you here?

Defender – I was invited.

I – By who?

Defender – By whom you mean.

I – Ok then, by whom?

Defender – Why by you.

I – I did not invite you.

Defender – Then, who did?

I – I don’t know. Maybe you should leave.

Defender – I’ve got to find out why I came here before I leave.

I – I see no point in this.

[A third person (Supplanter) arrives carrying a chair and walks up to the table to sit down.]

Three Into One Complete



Supplanter – I do.

I – Who are you?

Supplanter – I am the one you wanted us to meet.

Defender – You are?

I – That’s what he said, don’t you listen?

Defender – But why?

Supplanter – Is that important?

I – No, it’s not. Please leave, both of you.



[Defender makes a move to get up, but Supplanter motions “no” with his head and swings the chair around (that he was holding) behind his back and as he sits makes this statement,]



Supplanter – Sorry I am late, but I was looking for a chair.

Defender – that’s nice.

I – No it’s not.

Supplanter – Have you been here long?

Defender – Not too long.

I – He just got here.

Supplanter – And you?

I – I’ve been here all my life.

Defender – Sorry to hear that.

I – I’m not.


Supplanter – Don’t pay any attention to him.

Defender – He seemed like such a nice person.

I – I’m not!

Defender – But why?

I – Why not?

Supplanter – Is this necessary?

I – It wasn’t until you two arrive.

Defender – We came to help.

I – I never asked for any help.

Supplanter – That’s why we came.

I – And, that is why you can leave!

Defender – But, we haven’t done anything.

I – And, you won’t either.

Supplanter – You mean you won’t let us.

I – I didn’t say that.

Supplanter – It was implied, wasn’t it?

Defender – Yes, I think it was.

I – You don’t know what I mean.

Supplanter – I think we do.

Defender – I agree.

I – Who are you two?


Defender – I am the defender.

I – The what?

Supplanter – I’m the supplanter.

I – That doesn’t make any sense.

Supplanter – not now.

Defender – But, in time it will.

I – I don’t ever want to know.

Supplanter – Who are you?

I – I am I.

Defender – But, who are you now?

I – I am here now.

Supplanter – Are you?

I – I am alive, so I must be here.

Defender – But how?

I – I think therefore I am.

Supplanter – You think?

I – Yes, I do, but as a doubter.

Supplanter – Then all you’ve said is false.

Defender – He’s right you know.

I – How’s that?


Supplanter – If you doubt everything…

I – And, I do.

Supplanter – Then, you should also doubt yourself.

Defender – Take you time.

I – My physical body proves my life, leaving me free to doubt.

Supplanter – Does this give you meaning?

I – There is no real meaning.

Defender – Life is meaning.

Supplanter – What is real?

I – Real is whatever you want it to be.

Defender – Is life real?

I – Life is absurd!

Supplanter – To you, maybe.

I – To all of us.

Defender – Not to me!

I – Then, you are foolish!

Supplanter – And you? How do you feel?

I – I feel with my fingers.

Defender – But, why do you have to be . . .

I – So what?

Supplanter – So asinine.

I – I have no choice.

Supplanter – You can do whatever you want.

Defender – Within reason, of course.

I – I do what I must.

Supplanter – How’s that?

I – It’s either survive or perish.

Defender – There’s much more than that.

I – What?

Defender – It’s how you live.

Supplanter – Experiencing everything life has to offer.

I – That sounds like a real drag.

Defender – The way you’re living is a drag.

I – How do you know how I live?

Supplanter – You’ve told us.

I – I’ve told you only what I want you to know.

Defender – That, and much, much more.


I – What gives you the right to dissect me?

Supplanter – We could do it by force.

I – I abhor violence.

Defender – Then, submit yourself voluntarily.

I – I can’t.

Supplanter – You can if you want.

I – That’s the whole point.

Defender – What’s the point?

Supplanter – He’s not ready.

Defender – You’re not ready.

I – He said it, not me.

Defender – there is no right time.

Supplanter – You’re such a silly, gutless, little man.

I – Ya know, I could tolerate one of you, but the other one, I can’t stand.

Supplanter – Let’s go; I can see now this was a mistake.

Defender – We had to try, didn’t we?

I – No, not really.

Defender – I cannot help but think . . .

I – Don’t think and you won’t exist.

Defender – I really am sorry.

Supplanter – I’m not.

I – Just git outta here, both of you.

Defender – You’re just being silly here.

Supplanter – He’s not worth the effort.

I – It’s about time!

Defender – but, what will you do?

I – I’ll survive.

Supplanter – Will you?

I – Yes, if you ever leave me alone!

Defender – Nobody can live like that.

I – Who said anything about living?

Defender – We’ll just come back, you know?

I – No, you won’t.

Supplanter – You’re right, we won’t.

Defender – But, why?

Supplanter – Because he’s dead already.

I – Come to think of it, I don’t like either one of you.



[Both visitors get up and leave the table, also leaving their chairs.]


I – Hey, you forgot your chair.

Supplanter – Keep it; it was your chair anyway.


May 1976



Note to the reader: This brief 1 Act play was written during a Writing Drama class in response to one of the students who wanted me to more openly disclose my innermost feelings. This same person was a “smooth” talker who opened his back of cigarettes from the bottom so he could tell people who wanted to “bum” a cigarette that all he had was an unopened pack. The 3 Characters in this represented my: ID – EGO – SUPER EGO and they were having this conversation to determine if they wanted to become more “open” or not; they choose not to be.











No comments:

Post a Comment