Monday, July 9, 2012

today's heat penetrates the shade
my thoughts sweat like the palms of my hands,
squinting eyes watch swaying Magnolias
wasps float on puddles of water from last night's storm, but
dart away before being swatted;
a torn tent blocks out the harsh sun partially,
its legs tethered to the deck while
lifeless chairs wait in silence for partners that never show;
I think . . .
I am . . .
I try to remember, but
the jeans my mind wears are too tight and faded,
too pre-occupied with laments,
recalling prior acts of loneliness when
loneliness was not the issue at all;
a cat . . .
in the window bears resemblance to my own;
wondering . . .
where am I sitting?
to whom does this chair belong?
a new roof covers most of my possessions
but how thoughtless not to remember my pills,
or washing dishes
or not knowing when to shut up;
gentle breezes cool underarm odors and glad I am
to have brushed my teeth today
as my horoscope predicts visitors;
perfectly shaped breasts
with my veteran hands I hold,
succulent and tasty,
just as tanned as the rest of you;
kissing . . .
and touching . . .
and feeling our way around strange passions;
worried . . .
too much would be disclosed
or not enough, but
seductive was the evening's breeze around us,
a humid heat,
suffocating us like today;
birds bounce off the grass like touching hot sand;
it is time to put my pen down and close my eyes
for the last time.

July 5, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment