Friday, December 2, 2011

Life’s Endearments – part 2


Spring arrived, the sun shone brightly

Eendless streets I saw were bare;

and, so the ones I called to join me

had no shelter from the heat;

standing tall, my crop I planted

grow mature and likewise be;

life’s endearment held to me fiercely,

ripping the topsoil from my soul,

peer pressure still came not often.

by fall, my endless streets were softened

a flower positioned itself and grew;

contagious were reclaimed emotions when

next I knew mistrust had vanished too;

one day, I woke from soundless sleep

and brushed against my cheek, a flower felt;

startled, I turned – flowers engulfed me

excitement ripped through my mind as well;

to touch . . .

to smell . . .

to see them all . . .

my body tingled as still asleep I thought . . .

the colors . . .

the shapes . . .

the sizes . . .

all, as far as I could see; and yet,

I wondered, what is left to be?

amid my garden, a form emerged approaching

and with outstretched arms beckoned;

our two forms met,

merged into one harmony

sacred spurred-on by the fragrances

and then I heard, “I love you.”

February 1983

No comments:

Post a Comment