Monday, December 5, 2011

Two-Thirty, AM




Silence huddles around me like an

old blanket babies cling to for security, and

outside my window darkness prevents me

rom escaping into visual distractions;

the bed springs sign a lonely moan as I

turn to gaze at the emptiness beside me.

The shapes and images rust in my memory

Like an old tin can cast out along the roadside,

forming patterns that I must hopelessly follow.

The image never alters as the voice

cries out, but is never heard, and all hope is

lost while the second hand forebodingly revolves.

Off in the distance, a bird in solitaire

Longs for his mate and hollow shadows

Of yesterday’s dreams are left without purpose,

And meaning is a forgotten promise that

Crickets sing when the night is still and

Those who toil by day sleep not alone.

July 1981

No comments:

Post a Comment