Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Living It



scampering squirrels catch my attention
gazing at the acre I just mowed in between
that deluge of rain that lasted for days,
and as I wonder to myself why the squirrel
was in such a hurry, there is a pause inside
my mental faculties as I reflect upon my
insistence at getting there... wherever there is;
we all seem to be in a hurry to get wherever
it is that we want to go or be...  but, once
we get there, we want it to last forever...
as we have no where else we'd rather be...
and, all of those in front of us, who do not
match our same degree of urgency...  must
get out of our way immediately...  and, let
us pass in some sort of undisturbed fashion;
a cardinal sits in a chair in rome while
another one sits in my back yard investigating
the ground for some reason just like the roman
one investigate the purpose of our existence,
which is not really a purpose at all...  but a gift;
we offer no apologies for our thoughts and beliefs
other than we are grateful to have them and
be aware that we have them as well...  since
the squirrel, unlike us, scampers quickly 
out of an instinct and survival and knows
nothing of the world around him or its purpose...
we see...  we think...  we feel...  and if
we are lucky, we can imagine what it might
be like when all of this is one day gone...
but mostly, we just live the life we were given
living it as best we can, just like our squirrel.

11 October 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment