Saturday, October 24, 2020

What Does It Matter?

tossed into the garbage like garbage
are the boxes of my career that
contain the remnants of my life
and all the passions of that time with
which I had constantly identified;
like the classes I had taken
like the courses I had taught
like the materials I had collected
like the seminars I had attended;
now is gone from my sight and
the sight of others as it has been
tossed and burned in a hasty fashion
as if too embarrassed for it all;
destroying the source of understanding
like some kind of compliance order,
living with its memory and its
relationship to a dead parent whose
trivial nature is not in question;
it is the nature of life and its death
to be honored or unremembered
as new faces, new deed, new ideas
take precedent and we fade away
like a distant setting sun disappearing.

28 September 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment