Saturday, December 5, 2020

A Morning Sojourn

down the road a mile or two I walked without a cane
feeling the sun and wind at my back pushing me on,
turning right onto a dirt road as birds mocked my presence
and a deer or two quickly jumped out-of-my-sight;
further down the dirt road I walked looking left and right
seeing nothing of interest on either side yet continued...
an old dead tree laid down its life in front of me
and a slithering snake slide inside its wooden coffin;
Oak, Birch, and Maple leaves stuck to the ground
and a nearby sassafras trees rose under a Dogwood
not trying to hide its noticeable leaves from me;
a shelter stood in a clearing off to the left and
furrowed ground off to the right...
its peaks frosted by the morning dew not melted away,
and with a sigh of relief I ventured forward as if
Marco Polo had been my father and taught me everything
except how to keep warm in a chilly morning breeze...
and as I ventured forward and further into the day
I came across a silver lake all smooth and forlorn
and there were no duck strolling on the pond
as I was lead to believe and not cranes either
as the old lady at the grocery store had warned
after giving me all my direction and a candy bar;
it was a pleasant walk and not too far it seemed
although I could have walked it quicker if I had a mind to
but it was just a walk to get me away from all the
clamor and glamour of moving to a new neighborhood.

November 2, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment