Monday, December 7, 2020

Our Bluebird Friends

around and around the bluebirds fly like vultures
squawking at the tiny wrens occupying their house,
mistress and I on the porch swing sit witnessing the spectacle
she with her listening device                                                      
I with a pad and pen recording the event
not doing justice to what we see
writing my interpretation of the battle
of which none of our neighbors seem to care;
it was only yesterday it seems when in one of my spurts of energy
I set about fixing the decaying rails of our deck
and after a week when I was sweaty and tired
noticed if the board were turned over and sanded would have 
appeared as good as new or close enough not to matter,
and so, as any good conservative would do
I conjured up a plan to use an old board or two
and when the sun had left its toll on the day,
realized that I had build a very fine home for bluebirds,
so down with the old I did the next day and hung up the new one
just in time for a couple to fly our way;
over the next few days, I watched these winged stranger
work hour after hour to build a nest and once completed
I had always assumed they had become our guests,
but it was not until today that I realized maybe it was another couple
who had decided to occupy a newly build home
leaving the bluebirds without a home of their own...
and so I watched with great delight when I finally realized
my bluebirds friends had won their fight and that those tiny wrens
had decided to sojourn to another valley glen.

3 November 2020



No comments:

Post a Comment