Tuesday, June 2, 2020

A Baker's Dozen From 1988 - Page 2

1.
at first we controlled
our attraction
going for weeks
sometimes, 
not even
seeing each other,
then we permitted
ourselves to
experiment with
feelings...  needing
more ever since.
April 1988



2.
it is too late for
us to retrace what
brought us here,
too late to rethink
what we have done.
April 1988






3.
she liked him
she really did
it was her mother
who said she had
gone from the
pot into the fire;
she loved him
she really did
it was her sister who
wondered why she
was doing this again;
no one had been told
she agreed to let it
go nowhere...
more and more,
she thought loving
him was worth it,
he made her happy,
she loved him
she really did.
April 1988






4.
simply put
we think the other person
is a good piece of ass
and why shouldn't 
men and women share
the same feelings?
April 1988







5.
I look at you and I see a woman
whose responsibilities have
made her strong and wise;
I look at you and see a woman
whose pride comes from her children;
I look at you and see a woman
I can admire and whose portrait
I want to paint with words.
April 1988











6.
love should never be confused with marriage
for only on rare occasions do they go together;
and if, the sex is as good as the love then
marriage should be avoided at all costs.
April 1988






7.
how can I sleep 
with you in my 
mind but never
in my bed...?
April 1988








8.
in my arms I hold her
an embrace that should never end
I wanted her and she wanted me
and nothing else mattered
not our spouses or our
sense of moral obligations;
a sense of destiny justified by
us being together in the first place;
in my arms I hold her, an
embrace that never should have been.
April 1988





9.
we both feel that happiness is not deserved
that we're too good for each other...
who is our guilt for?
it's sad that we feel so sorry about ourselves
and if we really believe that, nothing
'would have ever gotten started,
and the shock that something so nice
could happen has taken us both by surprise.
April 1988









10.
around us I look
and see no evidence
to indicate anything
beyond our imagination
was responsible for
us falling in love.
April 1988





11.
can we overcome the fears
about the way we feel
long enough to enjoy the
happiness that is being
generated by our passion?
April 1988













12.
tonight, we make love
while the guilt lays
beside us in our bed;
tonight, there is room
enough for us three.
April 1988





13.
a bird sings a tune my
Mom used to whistle
when calling the dog
and I lay on the bed
whose mattress springs
are all but worn, too
tired to shower or
to watch television.
April 1988




No comments:

Post a Comment