Sunday, June 7, 2020

A Baker's Dozen From 1988 - Page 7

1.



I thought you could be changed
could be made to think differently
but changing you was like
tampering with the laws of nature.
March 1988










2.



for years I struggled with myself to be successful
not knowing how that would be measured, but
always feeling cheated out of something and
still thinking something was unfair because the
really big breaks were never there for me.
March 1988














3.
you were my mentor until I discovered your 
road had been paved by the boss's daughter...
that the only sweat you gave came from your
physical exertion in bed and it and it was your
daughter to whom I shortly would be wed.
March 1988


4.
the night air cools our fevers,
our muscles ache as if our sinus
condition was all over out body,
and tomorrow we ache just as bad;
no one wants to take our pain
no one wants to help us gain.
March 1988


5.



my artistic temperament has 
caused me a lot of grief from
those who don't understand 
how life affects me...  
sometimes, I feel like I have
lived too long already here.
March 1988













6.



we replaced the split-rail fence
with much heavier cross ties,
offering a structured appearance
that increased our sale price
leaving us with no place to sleep.
March 1988















7.
not as quiet as a butterfly,
I pace the floors of the
apartment, hoping you call
but had nothing to say,
if your did...  disappointment
turns to resentment as I 
imagine who your are with.
March 1988


8.
what we judge as innocence is
just the passing of time through
which we all must pass while
old age seems to stay around 
most of us a little while longer.
March 1988


9.
as long as we remember to smile those
who would be enemies will soon become
friends and those who would be friends
will soon wonder what what we are up to,
while those who would be unpersuaded to
join any cause will soon envy our position;
and those who envy will never understand
what having friends can be really all about.
March 1988





10.
it was a dream I had
that put you in my life
and I never expected
to see you in the flesh.
March 1988





11.
just a smile and I am yours
just a glance into your eyes...
I've notice you in the hallways;
inside my head your image lingers
cradled in the arms of my memory;
everyday you feel a little closer
yet there are times when our
limits are stretched beyond our
understanding and we much remain
unnoticed until we can regroup
to reclaim our lost confidence.
March 1988


12.
life is perched on one of its 
pillars again, daring me to 
provoke myself into doing 
"deed" that I'll regret...
foolish little boy thinking
everything is all important,
save your own scared little
heart and leave mine out of
anything you have planned.
March 1988


13.
a simple little man 
with simple little tastes
and a more fat than 
plump little wife,
made a fist with his
right hand and while
holding it in front of himself said,
"I'll give her a face lift."
March 1988


No comments:

Post a Comment