Wednesday, June 3, 2020

A Baker's Dozen From 1988 - Page 3

1.


grace does precede our meals nor
does any form of giving thanks;
when we are not eating at separate tables 
we are eating at different times;
silence is best served with friends
no one seems to be uncomfortable.
April 1988






2.


all rivers of knowledge flow into one
and no matter how much we learn, it
all ends there...  a bay of curiosity that
sails of off again as missionaries 
down her many unnatural tributaries.
April 1988







3.


the night and my tears fall together
as I began to thumb-through my life
like the pages of a book, and I \realize
those who admire me the most were
the ones who receive most of my pain.
April 1988




4.


the day began with lackluster colors
of a summer whose brightness has been
turned to rust from the harsh weather.
April 1988





5.
she tossed him on the altar 
forcing him
to beg for forgiveness or she would
not let him leave his father's house.
April 1988




6.

"you don't want me to be serious?"

"I don't want you to be a fool either."

"a fool?"

"act foolish."

And she disappeared from his presence momentarily returning standing in the doorway with a glass of water cooled off by the night air.

"I brought this for you."

"for me?"

"yes, because I like you."

"like me?"

"yes, like you...  no more."

turning, she looked back at him \and smiled but before she could move from his quickness, she was grabbed and pulled down to him
and as they lay together
they held each other tightly
in silence for along time
and at least temporarily they were good for one another.
April 1988




7.


rearrange my life lady
if you will,
so much of it has been
executed all wrong;
I have never been fair to
anyone, not even myself.
April 1988






8.
be still and quiet woman friend
lay down with me this hot sultry day,
silence your apprehensions
and cool down your fears and
the anger will follow suit;
be still my lady fair
plain but beautiful with so
much love and kindness to give;
calm your anxieties with this man of me
and I'll show you there is trust.
April 1988



9.
however brief our time might be
however long you let me stay
is all acceptable with me and
when the boredom can be seen
all over your wrinkled brow,
it is time to turn me loose
and set yourself abundantly free.
April 1988



10.

and the time will come soon enough
that you will not longer need me and
I'll not laugh and I'll not frown and no 
tears will you ever cry...  we'll kiss
each other tenderly and say goodbye.
April 1988







11.



night will fall one
last time for me and
how many times will
I fall in love with you
before that happens?
April 1988








12.
if I were to daydream of you would
it be the gentle way you caress me with your eyes?

if I were to daydream of you would
it be about what we no longer have?

if I were to daydream of you would
it be when I was with another?

if I were to daydream of you would
would reality change the way I feel?

in all those years of loneliness
if I were to dream at all. it would
be on no one in particular I suppose.
April 1988

13.


and if you pass my house on
the way to work honk once,
and twice on your way back,
and three times if you please
if you coming this way at all.
April 1988


No comments:

Post a Comment