Tuesday, May 4, 2021

April 1988 - page 1

both nights she wanted and
both nights she was given
and as if she were drugged
she simply did not care.


she listed him as a reference
because he was good in bed,
but that's the only thing
that he addressed for her.


she has my attention at least for two minutes
she has my courage and the consequences
she knows no limitations and neither did I
as I recall when I was at her age as a child.


she slept with her memories and 
at with them too...  she was a
non-interest bearing note,
she was everything but cautious.


a gallery of feelings are ours to 
display or change monthly,
assuming our role as curator
when our house needs cleaning
we just simply have a sale.



her honors mount up and her achievements
noted and her young world is protected
with an unassuming innocence...  she is
relatively content and will remain so until
she learns the absurd realities of an adult.


we bury ourselves in obscurity
training our responses to maintain
a low profile and to blend in 
with the surroundings...  some
cannot function without recognition.


uninvolved and unattached I was
wanting companionship or just a friend,
I was the stranger who nobody wanted around,
I consumed the world's hatred and 
anger and spit out a universal loneliness
with which many could not identify.


she eased the tensions on my life
and I drifted into another world of
excitement...  no one is really free.


she came to him after the kids were born
and he refused...
she came to him after the kids were in
bed and he refused...
she came to him after the kids were grown
and he refused...
they had met on alternating Tuesdays and
never once during all those years could
they have ever ended their affair.



No comments:

Post a Comment