Saturday, May 15, 2021

August 1988 - page 1

1.
a storm rolls in over our land
quiet and ominous
and we cannot listen like we should
so we recommend 
finding ourselves without a shield.

2.
she's leaving home for the first time
feeling angry and betrayed,
although she tested the limits and
encountered resistance and prefers
to live by herself without controls.

3.
she our-foxed herself deciding she
was better off without a father and
from now on she'll tell whoever
that asks that he died in the war.

4.
she listened to his complaints
she tolerated his insecurities
she wanted his love and no other
but when he talked in the past
she stopped counting on him.

5.
what else is there to offer?
What else?
she'll put herself in shame,
I'll love her until I die
and I'll think of her often as
she matures and reaches for
the sky...  this is the only 
love I know how to show.

6.
I gave her advice...
maybe too strong...
I gave her criticism...
perhaps too often...
Into another's arms she turned
for what I could not provide,
it was like she never
had a father at all...

7.
she sent me packing and
was probably right...
it would never be like it was,
she could never love me
without someone else on 
which to fall back upon...
she would never be alone.

8.
who would ever want you for real
married twice with two kids and a
history of looking across the fence.

9.
It was never this easy with me
you always made me feel I had
to work at simply loving you.

10.
a series of mistakes over sixteen
weeks and we were no longer...
how fragile was the love that
couldn't endure that...  how weak
were the feelings we claimed to
have...  we did not deserve any
thing more than what happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment