Thursday, April 22, 2021

January 1988 - page 2

when I look at these kids today
I try to remember how I felt at their age
but what I remember doesn't
match their new realities it seems.



she existed for me on Thursday
after the birthday but before
the celebration...  she was real
and beautiful and I stared much
too long...  she has not returned.



my reward was premature
I congratulated myself too soon,
it looks as though she'll be
listed on the scoreboard 
as a hard fought loss.



the schools were closed this morning
re-opening after I had my coffee,
I knew we were in trouble when the
mercury dropped below my age.



she had trouble finding
herself and wanted 
back into our marriage.



she liked me in the afternoon
not in the morning and said
she could not take me unshaven.



the turned sunny so I spent the afternoon
on the veranda sipping softly on hot coffee
and as the waiter's boy mopped the floor,
engines of fire passed, providing me
the only entertainment I was going to have.



I recollected the day's events
and once they were prioritized,
realized the day had been boring.



she agreed to my proposition
but she was old and ugly and
I was not interested anymore.



each morning, a few moments
spent counting is partially spent
on my blessing and I devote
to my relentless exercising.


No comments:

Post a Comment