Thursday, April 8, 2021

The Untitled... from 1988, page 33

 

I.
I look at you and see a love I
have not know for years...
one that sustains and contains
all the needs offered to me.

II.
if you could look into me through my eyes,
what would you see?
could I hide my weaknesses?
would you want to excavate my hidden treasures?
could I count on you to me me the truth?

III.
we were careful with the way we
demonstrated love...   letting out
only a little bit at a time carefully.

IV.
I have found you comforting after twenty years,
someone around which I want to be...
someone who deserves to be treated like a friend.

V.
it was a gamble...  you and I...
one that had no favorable odds,
its convenience turned inconvenient,
following our needs not our hearts,
following our desires not responsibilities,
it was cruel but necessary...  and,
we found ourselves adapting.

VI.
I looked for you yesterday because
my fantasies had returned and I
needed someone to play the seducer
of an innocent lad I was to play.

VII.
along the line of least resistance, I
lay me down to rest and absorb
the constant warmth of the sun,
to free myself from those who
would rob me of my thoughts,
and...  my dreams float freely
alongside your faint memory,
and...  I want to feel how I write
and what you mean to me...
but...  the words don't arrive as
easily as the tiredness that is
now invading my sensibilities,
the space inside my head is crowed
overpopulated with meaningless thoughts.

VIII.
how often can I tell you that
I love you and still have you
question me on what that means?

IX.
our thoughts intertwine as do our bodies and our
feelings bleed into each other's moral obligations;
what we look for is available and cheap,
a dime novel or adult paperback...
still, we accept what little we can have.

X.
we apply love as if it were the
mortar to keep all the bricks
of our home from falling in.

XI.
the wind chills my outer layer
of skin while my clothes keep
your memory warm inside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment