Thursday, April 1, 2021

The Untitled... from 1988, page 26

  

I.
the time for us to make our
move and we did...  and it
wasn't long before everything
we knew caved in on us...
we learned to gracefully survive
not as good as some survived
but better than most survived.

II.
she waited for his response as he
continue to toy with her feelings,
the more she cared the less he offered,
and the less she was able to care,
the more he turned to others.

III.
she was not his at all
and never would be,
she only tolerated his
interests as she did with
so many others until
her time was spent alone.

IV.
to me her back was turned
and I watched when she
pulled her hair behind her ears,
she was worth waiting for
but never worth ignoring.

V.
he lifestyle had be adjusted to accommodate
her but their kinds prevented much involvement,
his approach was always the same...  her interests,
however, varied with her and what was appealing.

VI.
his thoughts shifted from the right
side to the left side and back again,
just in time to refresh his memory.

VII.
the decision they made to proceed was
based upon a critical need to replace
each other's loss with a more positive
approach to the love they both needed.

VIII.
it was a dream come true that
brought us together and the
reality of waking up that made
us see any future between us
was damn near next to impossible.

IX.
my heart beats fast from the
infusion of caffeine and the lack of
food to absorb its effects...  my
nervousness can be seen in the 
fingernails that are trimmed back
with my teeth...  my eyes dart
from object to object while the
last little bit of light lasts...  an
anxious scream is held inside
and my head feels like nothing
can put a stop to its spinning.

X.
I waited four hours for you
and that last hour was spent
denying you really loved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment