Friday, April 30, 2021

March 1988 - page 1

it's been so long since I've cared about anything
the more they cared about me, the less I cared about them
and what they would see was just the opposite...
clever of me to keep that concealed.


two hearts intertwined
far from each other
hold the memory of rejection
swearing to get even.


yesterday's love is remembered
years later when unclear facts
distort what really happened
and then it is much too late.


and when she leaves there's always
another to take her place and they
never enter with the advantage nor
do they leave with one except
thinking it was all their choices.


and the different sounds that we hear
come from the birds who have returned
now that winter is struggling with its identity,
two years in a row, its harshness has
not been there to fight by any of us.


I watch you tease another and was
momentarily pleased that someone
else was in torment and I wanted it
to be more painful than my experience.


hate came easy for us
we were taught to hate
early and fear nothing except
those who were stronger.


the evening rests her shades of grey
across the front yard of my feelings
knowing I would welcome her arrival.


whatever ability I turn out to possess
is my only wealth and you don't even
provide me with a pleasant diversion.


a yard of hope and a mile of courage
is all I got and when that runs out, it's
back to living off dumb luck and guts.





No comments:

Post a Comment