Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The Untitled... from 1988, page 11

 

I.
I listened while you cried
wishing I could forgive you
for the guilt you felt and before
the day had passed away into
old memories, I cried for you.

II.
I wanted to make you feel guilty
for disappointing me until I
realized how upset you were.

III.
she shared her evening with me when
they should have been for her children,
her ex husband had been hanging around
when she had wanted me there...  this
affair had more problems than marriage.

IV.
they left school early to work wanting
a car more than an education and were
admired by those who stayed in school
which helped them tolerate their work;
years later when those who dropped out
had the same car and the same job,
those who stayed in school were the
ones who were to be admired instead.

V.
One Woman DC
the license plate read...
was she proving to herself or
the rest of the world
that she was not gay?

VI.
I wanted you in my dreams as
frequently as you were on my mind,
you said you could not stand that
much attention from any man.

VII.
it was easy to talk with you and
easier to make love with you,
there was a purpose even though we
preferred to think of it as animal desire.

VIII.
what I did with you 
became a habit
like attending class
and it took longer
that I had thought
to break it off...

IX.
the earlier we rise the sooner our thoughts
play with unregulated morning conversation,
listening to what others want to discuss
and we measure ourselves accordingly.

X.
your appearance blackens my imagination
a fragrance of many roses...
double exposed for no one's benefit
all I see is the first flower in the field
turning my thoughts over to you
and the new direction we should take.

No comments:

Post a Comment