Friday, March 12, 2021

The Untitled... from 1988, page 6

 

I.
she was entitled to a vacation
away from her husband and
the children and her lover.
May 1988

II.
the earth opened and swallowed
me alive and for a moment I
wished that it were true but like
all dreams is was another crisis.
May 1988

III.
my life had accepted his intrusion
making more room for him each day...
he gave me all I asked for and never
all that he wanted and the guilt
dimmed the lights in our rooms.
May 1988

IV.
the birds who flew south before 
the winter have returned in force,
our yard is full of their antics,
scrambling to build nests before
the spring rains begin to settle in.
May1988

V.
I was in charge of her heart...
a job avoided for years;
it may had too late to repair the damage
but I had promised myself to try.
May 1988

VI.
it was beyond our ability
and that's when it always
became a challenge for us.
May 1988

VII.
I sat in awe of her attraction
wanting to believe it to be true
but skeptical...
she was the type that everyone
wanted at least once.
May 1988

VIII.
look into her eyes and say "no"
before you point the finger at me,
accusing me of being weak...
look into her eyes and say "no"
and send her on her way if you dare.
May 1988

IX.
the sky closed her angry eyes and
we were left in the darkness...
a frustration finds it way
into both of our lonely hearts.
May 1988

X.
like a spiral staircase, our
lives wind around something,
never touching the source
of any of our discomforts;
an alarming situation that prevents
us from even wanting to know;
and the ones we know the best
are usually the hardest to understand...
coping with it all is so trite.
May 1988

No comments:

Post a Comment