Monday, March 8, 2021

The Untitled... from 1988, page 2

 

I.
there is no cure for what we feel,
no running away...
there is no substitute or
any changes we could make,
there is you and I and our feelings
shared as best as we can.
June 1988
II.
can I sit here day after day
without thinking of you?
can I sleep night after night
without thinking of you?
can I ever feel the slightest
comfort will all this madness?
June 1988
III.
roses stay in bloom for a few weeks
then wilt away and die...
spring returns to summer then
eventually back to fall...
feelings change the way we miss each other
then we are with someone who knows how to care;
roses bloom in the spring each year
and we look for permanence.
June 1988
IV.
it was her wisdom
conventional and all,
that made me feel secure;
it was her body that
eliminated my desires.
June 1988
V.
I look towards the empty seat and
wonder why you are not there...
wonder why you cannot be with 
me when I want you more...
as if my needs are all that matters.
June 1988
VI.
and when they walk by we look
and when we walk by they look;
it's been going on for years but
never has their behavior been so
aggressive as it has been this year.
May 1988
VII.
what manner of woman are you
to have poisoned me with your
unnatural desires...  as if I were
part of some elaborate selection
process forcing you to turn your
attention to who's in second place.
May 1988
VIII.
going too far is an excuse
for the weak and an issue
for those who could never
understand giving one's
self completely to love.
May 1988
IX.
time's passage is colorful
dressed in eighteenth century garb,
taking winters in Aspen
and summers at Saint Croix,
making our visits pleasant and painless,
we wave away our goodbyes
letting photos say our hellos.
May 1988
X.
Friendships are semi-permanent with
anything more being misunderstood,
crystal balls would be better used for
bowling than for predicting what we
all know is that which is predetermined.
May 1988

No comments:

Post a Comment