Thursday, March 25, 2021

The Untitled... from 1988, page 19

 

 I.
she had no choice but to ignore him and he her,
their involvement to remain a matter of gossip,
they met as often as they could seeking out love
a few nosey neighbors did not believe it existed.

II.
can I sleep thinking about tomorrow...  will you?
can I love you like you need or will being there be enough?
age has its concerns these days...  and speculations.

III.
the years win the struggle and we take
and we learn to take our anger to the grave,
nature shows her strength and each new
child must learn this same old lesson.

IV.
I had you all to myself and
lost because my greed would
not permit me to indulge in
the fantasies you explored.

V.
my head burns with the thoughts it possesses,
my eyes water with an anticipation of sleep and I
contain my convulsions lying on the tile bathroom floor,
a rush overcomes me and I beg to be left alone,
swearing it will never happen again,
how I wish I could learn to let it take me there
without the struggle and if I paid attention
I know I could find my way back again.

VI.
last night the door to my thoughts
was left ajar allowing most of my
bad attitudes to leave before daylight,
what remained were all those outgrown
sentiments I was saving for the yard sale.

VII.
it is because I cannot be with you
that I satisfy over and over again...
six month ago I was just horny
preferring my own hand to
avoid caring for a fancy man.

VIII.
I relax with an image of you
in my mind, wondering how
you are getting along...  so much so,
that I can no longer find time
to enjoy the relaxing experience.

IX.
if I were a thousand pencils
and a thousand sheets of paper
and a transcript of a thousand
people's thoughts, I would still
want to write how I feel about you.

X.
"don't you dare miss me," he said, wanting
her to concentrate on tomorrow's test,
so, she did what she was told and wished
she had flunked so she would still have him.

No comments:

Post a Comment