Wednesday, June 9, 2021

December 1988 - page 4

1.
the evening said good night first
and my eyes grew heavy
and my arms fell limp
and my legs ached with tiredness
and my dreams decided to spend
time with yesterday's lovers.

2.
it was too soon to tell anyone
yet the summer rains had
prevented an early fall again.

3.
you left a message for me to call
and when I did, you were
concerned that you have angered me,
how strange that this behavior
should follow my attraction for you.

4.
the moment passed for
we too now since
our moods have sent
each other packing
and looking for
someone else who
we can call our own...
the time is most nearly
not our own and
never was intended
to be as we much
surely realize by now...
we are at the end of
the moment passed.


5.
the mantel spirit above our
den's fireplace provided me
with clues in a effort to
keep down the inside pollution.

6.
no one is really sorry
each time we apologize 
we do it all over again,
and again and
again...
over and over and over
and over and over
and over and
over and
over...  no one is ever
really that sorry to 
keep this from happening.

7.
our baskets overflow with the
wonderful things we give others
and are empty upon returning home.

8.
it was a shallow grave where
we buried our love...
digging it up every so often
to make sure it's still there...
it was an awful life once and we
realized how to leverage security.

9.
"I would feel the same way if I was happy,"
he said, not understanding the question
or its alleged purpose...
"But, you don't know that," she said
questioning his sincerity...
"feelings are not just feelings," he responded
"and besides I know me..."
"and, knowing what you think you know,"
she responded, "is the heart of our problems."

10.
she sat on the deck reading while
he painted the images of his
poems on a canvas...  reluctant
at first, she could not visualize
their affair...  as she was happy
and relatively content and he
was a good provider and she
would not give that up for a
night of unrestrained passion,
she could not explain how deeply
she cared about him if ever asked.


No comments:

Post a Comment