Friday, June 25, 2021

November 1995 - page 4

1.
she wasn't very smart
she wasn't very pretty
she had a well developed body
she wore clothes tight and open
she had plenty of boys
but no one stayed very long.

2.
this world hates blacks
does not want interracial couples
does let blacks have good jobs
put more of them in prison
and yet has no problems
applauding their efforts
in all forms of sports.

3.
where am I today
where will I be tomorrow
will you be with me?

4.
I have you
on my mind,
I have you
deep inside me,
I have you
in my heart,
and your memory
will be with me
until I die.

5.
can I see you 
one more time
before I die?
can I touch your face
and will that memory
stay with me forever?
can I take you
with me when I die
because I do not like
being alone?
can I learn to 
love you
as you love me
as I should do
to myself?

6.
the old man struggled to walk
wishing his life was over,
wishing all his battles were done,
the old man sat by the window
watching the birds swim free
into the wind...   masked by the
sun in the face as it passed,
the old man never smiled or
never laughed anymore even
when his children visited him,
the old man and his woman
had their house in order
waiting each day for their
debt to life to finally be repaid.


7.
she does not mind the work
she does not want to be told
that is is her work only because
he has a job bringing in more money
and when that wasn't the case
he had helped out all the time.

8.
she jumps to do
this and that
expecting him
to jump as well
and when he
does not jump,
she calls him
a lazy shit, and
says she does not
know why she
remains with him.

9.
they watch the illusion
on the same screen,
presupposing they
themselves are just
as magical as he was.

10.
for years he drove a truck
up and down the interstate,
for years he wondered if
someone else was with his
lady and even if they were
it does not seem so important
at the age of seventy-four.


No comments:

Post a Comment